Vanessa Garay, HEC Paris MBA, Class of 2016
What is it like to be a student at HEC Paris MBA? Student Voices is a student contributed section where current students share their first-hand experiences of life on campus and beyond.
Having the opportunity to share our cultures with our fellow MBAs through Cultural weeks is trulyamazing. I believe it is really important to show our peers that Latin America is not necessarily what is presented in the news show or what tourists have said about it. From my point of view, it is our duty to tell our fellow MBAs about the many positives of Latin America and to share with them what makes our countries beautiful. Personally, I feel like an ambassador for Peru, so I really enjoy sharing the wonders my country has to offer.
One of the main reasons why I chose to do my MBA at HEC Paris was the diversity. Because of the diversity of my class, I feel like I am obtaining a global outlook by learning from people who possess different ways of thinking and doing things. It has also allowed me to learn from different cultures first-hand, whilst developing a professional network from which, I am sure, I will benefit in the future. Within the Latin American community, I have benefited from the understanding of our similarities and the relations among the countries. In addition, I got to know the working cultures of these countries, which I found important since there are many Latin American companies that have operations in Peru.
Dear MBA Applicant,
You’re courageous and inspiring. You’re taking the first steps in a new direction and we believe you’re looking at the best place to explore this.
An MBA at HEC Paris will push you outside your comfort zone. It’s awesome and daunting at the same time, and that’s where we can help. We’re happy to give tips to help your profile stand out and to increase your chances of acceptance into the #1 MBA in Europe.
- Get to know us! Check the website for campus visits and fairs. Get in contact with current students and our sophisticated alumni network. Ask questions! Discover if HEC is the right place to take you where you want to go.
- GMAT / GRE: Like any sport, be consistent in training. Aim for a balanced score between the quantitative and verbal sections.
- Essays: Give yourself time to write. Be honest, be yourself (don’t oversell yourself!), and have at least one person read over them for objective feedback on content and grammar. Don’t rush to meet a deadline. It’s better to apply the following month than to do a rushed job. Feel free to use the optional essay (#6) in the application to clarify or add anything.
- Recommendations: We prefer to hear from references who know you well (ideally a recent manager). Give your references plenty of advance notice to fill in the recommendation forms.
- Interview & Presentation: Your interviewers will have read your application, so do not repeat things that you have already covered. Stick to a 10 minute limit. The subject matter does not need to be professional, but the way you present should be. Research your interviewers ahead of time and be able to answer precisely: “Why an MBA?“, “Why now?“, and “Why HEC?“
We’re here to help. If you can’t meet us in person, get personalized feedback from our team by submitting your Candidate Profile.
Click here for more information on the Admissions process, including admissions criteria and deadlines and how you can meet our team around the world.